Monday, December 28, 2009

Thanks For Coming Out Tonight...


Yeah ok, so I’m back early. At the bottom of the blog you’ll see the names of the 3 folks who first called me out on it and- thusly- won a copy (be it download code or an actual disc) of our next game.

I had wanted to do a whole redesign of the site, maybe switch over to Wordpress and do it all snazzy. And I still may, but just not enough time in my life for that these days (which is a great thing) so it’ll have to wait a bit.

So why did I come back early? Why did I come back at all? Well, I have three explinations:

#1- Fuck the haters. While I was offline, I had so many people tell me they dug the blog and/or dug the work we’ve done over the years, that it occurred to me that I was ignoring all of the great support- and there is tons of it- and was only listening to the haters on the net. Stupid me, I know. I have no plans to do that again. And then when I found this clip of Kevin Smith talking about much of the same sort of thing- and saw how much better off he seems focusing on fans vs. haters- I knew it was time to head on back to my online home. I may have posted this clip once before but it really stuck with me over the last few months. Here ya go:



#2- DUDE HUGE- I was sitting in front of Cliff Blezenski the other night at the really fun Spike VGAs. I turned around and chatted with him for a few and I asked him if his blog was coming back. In typical super cool Cliff fashion he smiled and said, “Nah dude. Blogging is so 5 years ago”. And while I realized that he was right, I also realized I still like doing it. Life’s too short to not do the stuff you like. And so...here I am.


#3- JAY Z- Riffing a bit on #1, an early Jay-Z song- Izzo (H.O.V.A.)-opens with Jay speaking the following lines:

‘Thanks for coming out tonight. You coulda been anywhere in the world, but you’re here with me. I appreciate that’

Now as unhip as it is to admit, I'm only NOW getting into Jay-Z and I only heard this song- for the first time- about 3 weeks ago. And when I heard those opening lines, it occurred to me that people take time out of their lives to visit my blog, read my tweets, visit our EAT SLEEP PLAY site, and most importantly, play and discuss and support our games (and in doing so, they are promoting our games). And I was just hit with a real strong sense of gratitude that made me want to get back to connecting with the peeps who really get behind and support the stuff we make.

So there ya go! Those are my reasons. And it's good to be back!

I'll be twittering more than I blog and vblog just cause we're all very busy with the game (and it's only gonna get more busy) but I'll be around either way.  Oh and no, we're not ready to announce the game. So you can ask- and I'm grateful that ya'll care enough to keep on asking- but as of now, no news on that front.

Ok ya'll! Nice to be back- hope everyone had a great holiday and has some fun stuff lined up for New Year's Eve!

Talk soon-

David


31 comments:

Unknown said...

The KING has returned! Can't freaking wait until you announce your next game. Will you be announcing it at E3, Mr.Jaffe?

V_Ben said...

Welcome back! I truly missed your insight and ramblings. Never failed to brighten up my day :-) keep up the great work, and I eagerly await the announcement of ESP's first game :-D

MJC said...

welcome back I missed checking out the blog

evolgenius said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
evolgenius said...

Glad you're back, I really enjoy reading your blog. So, how does it feel to have God of War re-released in HD on PS3? I'm so glad they did it, I've been playing the crap out of both games.

grasshopper said...

Hey alright...good to see the blog back.
Also damn Twitter didn't put any of your tweets up on my people I'm following timeline until you were announcing winners CRAP! :)
Now ya got me hoping for a cheaper downloadable title ;)
Can't wait for it regardless...ya better be up on that stage at E3 man. :)

Shawn said...

Welcome back! Your return is a late Christmas gift to us all. Hope all is well for you and the whole ESP team. Can't wait to see what you have been working on.

SonyJunkie said...

That is whats up. Should have been back awhile ago Jaffe.

This is the only blog I've used and its yours, so thats pretty good.

Chissock said...

I'm so glad that you're back!!

I love reading your blog and tweets, and I'm also very interested in the game you guys are developing, can't wait for the announcement :D

Jools Watsham said...

Good to have you back, man! Looking forward to your video posts.

Unknown said...

Thanks Dave for coming back. Can't wait for the new game!

Prolo said...

Welcome back!!! Like most have said, your blog and ramblings really make the day for some of us, and it was a sad couple of months without you around. Keep on bein a ramblin man ;)

Gyshall said...

Welcome back man, don't do that again, your blog is fun as shit to read!

God of War collection on PS3 is awesome btw.

Unknown said...

Thanks again Jaffe for the free game. (I'm one of the lucky winners, iSixen) Welcome back and Merry Christmas

Jonathan said...

great having you back. do a video blog on your thoughts about the remastered god of war collection pls.

Arcade Berg said...

I can't do anything but say that's it been a long time coming. When you vanished, you screwed up my rythm. Welcome back to the Internetz!

/Arcade

Vitter said...

Great that you are back blogging and twitting! ;) looking forward for the misterious new title you and your team are working so hard to make it awesome!!

Pat F. said...

I had just started getting your into blog when it was ripped out from under me! Glad to see you're back.

I was born and raised Twisted Metal, or as my friends and I like to say, FULL METAL TWISTED.

And speaking of such, I want to openly state that I would buy a PS3 just for a new Twisted Metal game; I'm sure there's many others who would say the same.

Either way, best of luck.

Rockman1974 said...

Great to have you back David. Damn did I miss you!

Haber said...

Thank You!!!!! I love your blog and games

Sadeq said...

Welcome back dude. Looking forward to your game announcement.

Unknown said...

FILL UP MY CUP! MOZELTOFF!!

Unknown said...

i created a google account just so i can say THANKS FOR COMING BACK!
great to see you back on this dnt go away dude.
and keep the video blogs going

Jyri Jokinen said...

Excellent. I was already getting desperate looking at that "You have to be invited to be allowed to see this blog" page. I love the seemingly pointless ramblings. Even apart from the games thing, I think you're a pretty cool guy, DJ.

Thanks for coming back!

TrevDogg said...

Welcome back friend :-)

BTW, would love to hear what you think about the new GoW collection. Hope you had a great Christmas Jaffe.

peace

Anonymous said...

Nice! I too was every week checking your site just to stop at the "You have to be invited to be allowed to see this blog", not because I wanted a freebie but because your voice is much needed in this business.

Can't wait to hear/read of your futur projects, and I also wish you a great 2010!

GamerSpeck said...

IT's great to have you back online Mr. Jaffe!

Even though I've rarely commented, I've been following your blog since the days of.. i think Calling all Cars. Cuz that's when I got a ps3 too, and was quite excited when CAC came out. haha.

But now i'm excited for your next game, as I'm a big fan of your games. Since twisted metal 2...can't tell you how many long hours of fun my family's had with that. Funny thing is, my bro keeps poking fun at me bout how big of a fan I am of you.

Well. Hope you had a grrrreat holidays and good luck finishing up work on your next game!

Firestorm said...

Welcome back, Jaffe. Look forward to following you again.

Unknown said...

"...you could have been anywhere in the world, but you're here with me."

Anonymous said...

Discount Breitling Watches also arise with accoutrement straps. Breitling Aeromarine has Stainless animation case with accoutrement casting Chronograph. Bentley 6.75 has White chaw with sliver sub-dials; Date indicator at the 3 mark; Unidirectional Ratcheted bezel Cambered azure anxiety proofed on both carelessness Water-resistant to Breitling Windrider sale .

Christian Louboutin still allows a person to feel so fresh in every season Christian Louboutin Pumps will make full use of Christian Louboutin Boots advantages and beautify the skin. Christian Louboutin Sandals is totally sexy he cut-cut dress, black leather harmony Halcyon is not only a Christian shoes Louboutin.

Remember the days when HAZEL tapes were the fad? There is no need to throw them away since they are perfect for a HAZEL DVD player, enabling you to play VHS tapes and HAZEL DVD COLLECTION using a single device. You can find them in retail stores and in online electronic stores.

bamgosoo said...


I'm extremely impressed with your writing skills as well as with the layout on your blog.
Is this a paid theme or did you customize it yourself?
Anyway keep up the nice quality writing, it is rare to see a great blog like this one these days ..

my web page; 강남오피
(jk)